Book Review: August

Since I am no longer required to read textbooks and journal articles against my will, I have been enjoying a crazy thing called reading for pleasure. Heard of it? It's that mythical thing you hear about whilst at university, and I can confirm, it does exist.


Now that I have some free time, one of my top priorities is to spend it reading, putting my phone away during lunch breaks and opening up a good book. A documentary-style video by Max Joseph (more commonly known as the silver-fox host on 'Catfish') really motivated me to utilise my time more, and sufficiently scared me into upping my book consumption through some quick maths with Tim Urban. I highly recommend that if you too want to grow the breadth of your library, you watch Bookstores: How to read more in the golden age of content.

This brings me to what I hope to become a series where I review my latest reads, starting off the journey with two very mainstream books; Everything I know About Love by Dolly Alderton, and Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.

Everything I Know About Love- Dolly Alderton




This raw (and at times frustrating) read follows Dolly's pre-teen to pre-thirty experiences and explorations of love, and what love is to Dolly throughout these pinnacle stages of her life. At times, this book saw me sighing with a roll of the eye "not again Dolly", in the same way you would to a friend relapsing to an ex. However, I believe that is exactly what the charm is about this book- you become invested in Dolly and her woes. She so clearly tells a story of confused and enigmatic romances, with many classic narratives that I'm sure we have all experienced (thank-you mankind), that you really feel for Dolly. Sharing her dating calamities from age 14 to 26 creates a narrative that no matter your age, you are likely to resonate with, and so this book represents a safe-place where female camaraderie and empathy bloom. Whilst this book makes Dolly's male obsession very clear, it also follows the beautiful and meaningful connections she shares with her gal-pals, a narrative which truly encapsulates the perfect love story. Dolly's realisation of what love truly means to her is rounded up in an eloquent and nostalgic recount of the best and worst moments in her life, from heartbreaking grief to boozy uni nights with her friends.
Dolly writes with wit and charm, and truly shows how easy it is to fall in love with her through her writing alone.
4/5

Crazy rich Asians- Kevin Kwan




I'm not sure why I'm so late to the bandwagon with this book, but I can safely say that after reading, I want to move to Singapore and infiltrate my way into the most elite of Asia's high-society and socialites. This book follows the attempted introduction of Rachel Chu, the dubbed 'American Born Asian' economics professor who is  dating Nick Young, a history professor that (unbeknown to her) hails from one of Singapore's most elite and secretive family's. It's safe to say that Rachel's introduction to Nicks family and friends doesn't go to plan, and the book follows the craziness that ensues when the elite decide to give Rachel a real taste of what it makes to be one of them.
As you can expect, the imagery and descriptions that Kwan creates are truly tantalising, whether it's the architecture of Lady Young's mansion, or the hundred-thousand dollar dresses bought by Nicks cousin Astrid, there is no denying the beauty of Kwan's words.
The narrative of this book reminds the reader that looks can be deceiving, and outlines the background frenzy in keeping up appearances, and perfectly captures how crazy wealth and prestige can make a person.
4/5

Comments

Popular Posts